Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day; Obsessed with Death

So my wife and sister-in-law were teasing this weeked telling me I'm obsessed with death. I recently listened to a book on CD that was a personal memoir on coping with the loss of a husband as my wife and I drove up the canyon. I also told my sister-in-law about where I'd like to be buried; with my wife and some of her ancestors, in the small cemetery up on the hill in the desert outside of Pima, AZ.

Considering my work I would have to admit I focus on death, or at least on my dead ancestry. My Great Grandma Dora passed away this last week at the age of 101. Not trying to be macabre or opportunistic I soon considered how her passing would figure into a piece I am working on in which I plan to can images of each of my deceased ancestors in fruit bottles along with pears, peaches, etc. It would mean one less empty jar.

This is a photo of a related, unfinished, piece. It will be a 200 year family tree in a jar. The wire roots and mini tree will be sealed with a little fruit in the jar.

I once heard it said that in order to be happy we should contemplate death for 5 minutes per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment