Sunday, May 31, 2009

No, my grandfather is not actually a member of Blue Man Group

The blue rubber is the first stage of the molding process. Next I apply clear silicon caulking, smells like vinegar. A final plaster layer constitutes the mother mold that helps it all keep its shape.

Below on the left is the oil clay original, removed from its rubber mold and on the right a test cast in plaster.
My dad requested a portrait of his father. I started work on a self portrait during the school year, with my students who had the same assignment. I plan on completing a paternal line of portrait by adding portraits of my father and son to the group. I hope to obtain soil/earth from each individual's birth place to mix into a cast of stabilized adobe (clay, sand, cement).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that will be cool to see when all 4 are finished. I like that you're putting soil from each birthplace in them.

    ReplyDelete